The Asia Pacific holds more than half the world’s mobile subscribers – mostly in China and India -. The region also holds the top 3 markets worldwide in terms of 4G penetration (South Korea 78% – Japan 69% – Australia 65%).
Read the below and take a quick look at the state of the mobile economy in the Asia Pacific in 2017:
- There were 2.7 billion unique mobile subscribers in the Asia Pacific in 2016, accounting for two-thirds of the region’s population with a penetration rate of 66%. This number is expected to hit 3.1 B in 2020.
- 94% of the population subscribe to mobile services.
- The number of SIM connections in the Asia Pacific region totaled 4.2 billion in 2016 and is expected to reach 5.1 B by 2020.
- Smartphones also are expected to rise from 1 B at the end of 2016 to reach 3 B in 2020.
- Mobile broadband connections are predicted to increase from 53% of the total in 2016 to 72% by 2020.
- Mobile technologies & services generated 5.2% of GDP in Asia-Pacific in 2016, a contribution that amounted to around $1.3 trillion of economic value.