In the Nordics, smartphones have become more widespread than laptops. Owning a smartphone is changing even how Nordic consumers interact with banks, but they have also given life to new ways of payments.
This has brought Nordic countries to the rise of mobile wallets, although mobile wallets are not a new phenomenon, in the last few years mobile wallets are converted from a niche product into a mainstream tech. With the mass adoption of smartphones, mobile wallets have taken a significant share of peer-to-peer payments.
The digital Nordic shopper is clearly in the driver’s seat when it comes to the digital purchasing processes, and both technology and connectivity have empowered the consumers. Browsing websites and reading online reviews are becoming more common, and consumer preferences are slightly tilted towards products rather than services when it comes to online purchasing.
The Key Findings of “The Rise of Mobile Wallets in the Nordics, 2019” Report:
- Sweden is the country with the highest weekly user rate with approximately 35 % reported that they transfer money domestically to another individual at least once per week with a smartphone.
- Ireland is ranked as the top Nordic country with the highest rate of shoppers that prefer to use their smartphones to browse shopping websites with a rate of 28%.
- Laptops are ranked as the most preferred device by surveyed online shoppers used for making online purchases with a rate of 42%.
- Credit or debit cards are ranked as the most used method of payment for online purchasing of products or services with a smartphone by surveyed Nordics consumers with a rate of 78%.
- 60% of surveyed Danish consumers mentioned that they use biometrics of their smartphones to authorize payments and purchases.
- 52 % of surveyed Nordics consumers reported that they check their bank account balance by using their smartphones at least weekly.
- Retailers’ websites are the main choice of the marketplace when Nordic consumers decide to buy products or services with a smartphone with a rate of 67%.
A Graph Shows How Nordic Consumers Use Biometrics to Identify Themselves on Their Smartphones by Country.
The Content of “The Rise of Mobile Wallets in the Nordics, 2019” Report:
- Executive Summary.
- The Cach Less Society.
- The Smartphone Shopper.
- The Generation Gap.
- List of figures.
- Relevant thoughtware.
Number of Pages:
This report is based on primary research conducted of over 5000 Nordic respondents as well as interviews with industry experts. The secondary research is done with publicly available sources like European Central Bank, articles and data from four Nordic central banks.