With over 48,7 millions of the UK population who access the internet in 2018, mobile devices’ consumption continues to grow steadily, with over 39 million of them use mobile devices. A recent study conducted by comScore & UKOM on the UK online users to better understand the online behaviour of them. Data revealed that there is an increase in the mobile universe among UK digital users from 4 to 10 million in 2018 and a more significant reduction in the desktop PC user base.
Take a sneak peek at the top-line finding of the online behaviour of the UK digital users:
Key Insights Into the Most Used Devices by Digital Users in the UK
- In general, mobile devices (both smartphone & tablets) now account nearly three-quarters of all UK adults’ online minutes, while smartphones only account 62% of all adult online minutes.
- In contrast, among older audiences (aged 55+) desktops have the higher reach.
- Adult females are much more likely than males to spend more time on smartphones (68% vs. 57), while males are more likely to do so but on desktops (32% vs. 19%).
- Both UK mums and dads are more likely to spend time on mobile devices than single females and males with no kids.
- 62% of UK online adults are a multi-platform, while 29% are mobile-only users.
- Males are more likely to be multi-platform than females (66% vs. 57%).
Two Pie Charts Show the Share of Time Spent Online by UK Digital Users in 2018
Top UK Mobile Properties and Apps
- Google Sites ranked the top of all properties used by UK digital users with almost 985, followed by Facebook, BBC sites, Microsoft sites and Amazon sites.
- Google Sites also are the top-ranked properties in terms of time spent, followed far by Facebook and Spotify.
- Mobile devices account for more than 90% of time spent on Spotify & Snapchat, 83% on Facebook and 52% on BBC sites.
- Desktops account for 57% of time spent on Netflix Inc, 55% on Oath, and 52% on Microsoft sites.
A Focus on the Mobile Usage in the UK
- 91% of the UK online adult population use mobile devices (smartphone & tablets), and 74% use mobile apps.
- Mobile apps account for 63% of all minutes, while smartphone apps account for 54% of all minutes.
- YouTube, Facebook and Spotify are the top three mobile apps and smartphone apps ranked by minutes spent on apps, while Snapchat and YouTube are the top on Desktops.
A Figure Shows the Top 20 Mobile Properties in the UK Ranked by Unique Visitors in 2018