The fourth quarter of 2016 came to present new indicators into the telecom sector in Oman. Fixed-line subscribers reached a total of 465,721 subscribers, while mobile subscribers increased by 1.18% to reach a total of 6,866,260 subscribers with a constant penetration rate (151%).
Fixed Telephone Service:
- There is a decline in both fixed postpaid & prepaid subscriptions during the third quarter of 2016 by 20%, and 72.83% respectively.
- Residential fixed line subscribers also declined by 2.38% during the fourth quarter, but business fixed line subscribers increased by 8.18% as compared to the previous quarter.
- Mobile postpaid subscribers totaled 614,482 with 0.86% growth over the prior quarter.
- Total mobile prepaid subscribers also increased by 1.2% reaching 6,251,778 subscribers.
- “Omantel mobile” & “Nawras” almost accomplished an equal market share for mobile service (41% & 41.6 respectively).
- Fixed internet subscribers jumped up by 7,612 subscribers during Q4 2016 – equal 2.7% growth rate – reaching a total of 285,588 subscribers.
- Fixed internet penetration rate per household also increased by 1.33% than the previous quarter to be 49.67% in Q4 2016.
- Total fixed Broadband subscription reached 283,057 subscribers with a penetration rate of 49.23% per household.
- Total active mobile broadband subscribers leaped up 9.9% to 3,937,861 in Q4 2016 from 3,838,089 in Q3.
- There is an increase of 72% in the business segment of broadband, while 1.9% drop in the dial-up internet subscribers.