Online retail in the Middle East is growing as the percentage of daily online shoppers doubled from 6% in 2014 to 12% in 2015, but only a few people have credit cards so people in the Middle East with rate 80% prefer to use cash when they buy online.
The main features of online retail in the Middle East can be incorporated in the following points:
- Clothing and footwear are the most frequently purchased categories online with rate 68%, followed by electronics and computers with rate of 66%., but the least purchased category online is groceries with rate of 43%.
- 49%of online shoppers in the region choose retailers, according to prices, compared to 60% globally, and only 29% of shoppers choose retailers because they trust the brand.
- The usage of mobile for shopping online has increased from 61% in 2014 to 70% in 2015, and 49% of online shopper is expected to make their mobiles the main purchasing channel.
- Egypt has more people who shopping online daily but also has more people who have never shopped that way.
- The UAE also has a growing domestic population and a high proportion of wealthy residents that’s why it is believed that clothing and footwear will be the fastest growing spending category in 2016.
A Figure Shows Those Who Shop Online Daily in The Middle East, 2016.