The online marketplaces are websites or apps that facilitates shopping from many different sources. The operator of these marketplaces does not own any inventory, their business is to present other people’s inventory to a user and facilitate a transaction. Online marketplaces allow selling goods without setting up online stores. Selling through online marketplaces provides a flexible business opportunity with relatively low start-up costs. E-Bay and Amazon are great examples for the well-established marketplaces.
Take a glance at the Australian digital buyer behavior:
- 36% of surveyed online shoppers in Australia reported that they are searching for the same item on multiple marketplaces before making any purchases.
- 33% of surveyed Australian digital buyers said that they are browsing online marketplaces for fun but without any specific purchase in mind.
- 30% of surveyed online shoppers in Australia indicated that they enjoy shopping on online marketplaces because there is a wider variety of products available.
- 26% mentioned that they believe in the ability to get better deals from online marketplaces than from an online store.
- 22% of surveyed online shoppers in Australia are looking for brands’ marketplace pages to be able to compare prices to their online store before making a purchase.
A Graph Shows The Australian Online Consumer Buying Behaviour, 2018.