Nowadays email is going to reach more than 3.7B users -half of the world’s population- with 44% of the world’s population owning a smartphone in 2017, which allows quick interact with emails. So, marketers must pay attention to how subscribers are consuming their messages if they want to maximize email’s effectiveness.
To optimize your program in response read the below insights to understand where & when clients open emails, how long they read and how they interact with email:
- The majority of email opens are made on mobile (55%), while 16% of emails are opened using a desktop.
- Unlike mobile and webmail, the percent of desktop opens remained relatively steady throughout the year, 19% of desktop opens occurred primarily during the workweek, 13% of total opens occurred on the weekends.
- The highest percentage of mobile opens occurring in July (58%). Summer & fall see the most opens on mobile.
- Webmail retained a significant share of opens with an average of 28%, while the highest percentage of opens (32%) occurred in February and April.
- 79% of mobile email opens occurred on devices running iOS (iPhones and iPads).
- 22% of emails being skimmed on average.
- US, Canada, UK, Singapore & Australia saw higher mobile opens than the global average, each with mobile opens over 70%.
- China and Germany have more than 1 in 5 emails opened on a desktop client.
- Brazil, where smartphone penetration is 38%, saw much lower opens on mobile clients compared to other countries (48%).
How to apply this to your own program:
- Know which email clients your subscribers are using.
- Ensure your content is rendering correctly.
- Understand where your customers are.
- Discover how captivating your messages are.
- Keep up to date with the latest benchmarks.
Data were driven from 27 billion emails, between May 2016 – April 2017 using email tracking solution, Email Client Monitor.