How do I stack up against my competitors on social media?
Most marketers always ask experts this question. The data-driven marketers don’t just want to know how their social media post is doing; they want to know how they’re doing against similar posts by their competitors.
Needless to say that with great data comes great social strategy. The “2019 Social Media Benchmark Report” provides you with the data you need to truly benchmark your social media performance success against your industry competitors.
Rival IQ has surveyed more than 1,800 of the most engaging brands and companies to analyze the engagement rates, posting frequency, post types, and hashtags for the top three social channels for brands: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Here are a sneak peek to dig into what’s behind the social media marketing success of the most engaging brands in each industry:
The Engagement Rate of 12 Industries on Social Media, Benchmarks 2019:
- There is a dramatic decline in the Facebook engagement rate during 2019 for all analyzed industries. The median last year was 0.16%, and it’s down to 0.09% this year.
- The median engagement rate on Instagram also declined from 1.73% in 2018 to 1.60% in 2019. Higher Education outperformed other industries on Instagram.
- Twitter engagement remained consistent this year, with Higher Education and Alcohol leading the pack and Media industry lagging far behind.
The Average Engagement Rate per Post on Instagram by Industry – 2019
Posts Per Day vs. Engagement Rate on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter – Benchmarks 2019:
- Facebook changed its algorithm and this affected the organic activity of brands so they reduced their output accordingly.
Some of the most infrequent posters (Alcohol, Food & Beverage, and Hotels & Resorts) top the
engagement charts, while posting frequency outlier Media is near the bottom.
- Brands across Instagram maintained their Instagram frequency in place this year.
More isn’t necessarily better on Instagram (or anywhere else, really): with the exception of Sports
Teams, the industries with the highest per-post engagement rates post less often.
- On Twitter, brands posted an average of 25% less than the previous year. Companies in Media and Sports Teams continue their relentless pace again this year.
There is no correlation between median posting frequency and engagement. Sports Teams manage to maintain average engagement while posting almost nine times a day. Sports fans clearly love to engage with their teams on Twitter.
Content of the “2019 Social Media Industry Benchmark Report”:
- The Benchmarks
- Industry Snapshot: Alcohol
- Industry Snapshot: Fashion
- Industry Snapshot: Food & Beverage
- Industry Snapshot: Health & Beauty
- Industry Snapshot: Higher Education
- Industry Snapshot: Home Decor
- Industry Snapshot: Hotels & Resorts
- Industry Snapshot: Influencers
- Industry Snapshot: Media
- Industry Snapshot: Nonprofits
- Industry Snapshot: Retail
- Industry Snapshot: Sports Teams
- About Rival IQ
Number of Pages:
Data is based on a survey of more than 1,800 of the most engaging brands and companies. Companies selected had an active presence on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter as of January 2018, and had Facebook fan counts between 25,000 and 1 million as of the same date.